This page has links to various information sources about raising families.
FIVE IDEAS FOR HOW TO SABBATH IN THE CHAOS
- Start an Online Prayer Group: You’ve been wanting to; now’s the time. Brew a cup of coffee, shut the door, hit Zoom, and breathe together with your friends.
- Plant Seeds: No green thumb? Amazon sells complete seed kits. Read the parable of the Sower. Make garden time “quiet only” and plan for who will receive the flowers.
- Google Mediation Apps: There are all kinds of free apps out there.
- Make a Call a Day: We all have family/friends we don’t have time to keep up with. Now we do.
- Create a Sabbath Spot: Make a new, fresh space available and teach your family that whenever anyone needs quiet, they can sit there and others will respect their quiet.
“How to Cast a Vision for Your Family in Times of Crisis”by Susan Alexander Yates March 16, 2020 PL_Corona virus
“Simple, Practical Ways to Celebrate Lent with your Children” Susan Alexander Yates
Tips for Parents of Graduates
“When it is time for our kids to leave the nest, it is time for us to pray.”- Jodie Berndt.
10 Ways to Avoid Mama Burnout-Part 1 by Susan Alexander Yates
Ok, I’m Really Mad by Susan Yates
“Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation? Jean Twenge, September 2017
Readings on Mercy (November 19, 2017)
The Importance of Teaching Mercy to Children
AACU article: A Plea for Civil Discourse: Needed, the Academy’s Leadership Fall 2013, No. 4
The Jesus Storybook Bible, by Sally Lloyd Jones
Liturgy of the Ordinary, by Tish Harrison Warren
The Road Back to You, by Jan Morgan Cron and Suzanne Stabile
It’s Just a Phase-So Don’t Miss It: Why Every Life Stage of a Kid Matters and at Least 13 Things Your Church Should Do About It
by Reggie Joiner and Kristen Ivy
iGen: Why Today’s Super-Connected Kids Are Growing Up Less Rebellious, More Tolerant, Less Happy–and Completely Unprepared for Adulthood–and What That Means for the Rest of Us by Jean Twenge
Read Book Review by Timothy Chapman
Of Mess and Moxie: Wrangling Delight Out of This Wild and Glorious Life, by Jen Hatmaker
The Grown-Up’s Guide to Teenage Humans: How to Decode Their Behavior, Develop Unshakable Trust, and Raise a Respectable Adult
by Josh Shipp more
Character Matters! Raising Kids with Values That Lasts
by John and Susan Yates more
Raising Children in a Digital Age: Preparing Your Children for the Digital Jungle
by Bex Lewis more
The Center for Parent/Youth Understanding (CPYU) is an organization dedicated to understanding youth culture with a helpful newsletter, that is posted in the Sant Library at CSMSG and on the YM Bulletin Board). For more resources about parents and youth: www.cpyu.org
CSMSG Youth Ministry Tuesday Newsletter
Please email Timothy Chapman to subscribe to the YM Eletter.
MINISTRY ARCHITECTS REPORT
Report by Chris Sasser, Ministry Architects Consultant, May 2017